I'm on vacation in Paris and while I know I will be walking around a lot, I still want to get my runs in and exercise because, let's be honest, I am going to consume way too much champagne and bread. Walking won't cut it plus, I know myself and exercise is an outlet for me. Traveling, regardless of how easy your companion is and how relaxing the setting is, there can be a lot of daily mini-stressful moments.
In order to stay on track, I'm doing my daily plank exercises, and I've come up with my tips for working out while vacationing.
1. Be realistic. if you workout 6 days a week at home, aim for 3-4 days on vacation.
2. Create an in-room workout. I like the NTC app for quick 15-30 minute workouts. If you don't have that or won't have your phone with you, write down an easy series. Here's my fave: 25 squats, 10 pushups, 30 seconds Russian Twist, 2 minute plank series, 10 squat jumps. Repeat!
3. Bike or Run Tour. Pick a day to rent a bike and explore or see the city/area by foot. Bring a small backpack, water and money. Stop along the way to enjoy the sights. This is a great way to see smaller neighborhoods and an excuse to eat more - gotta fuel along the way!
4. Do your homework. Know if your hotel has a gym and, if you are a runner, check Map My Run for routes. Or, look up local running clubs. Many are free and welcome visitors, especially foreigners.
5. Use your surroundings. Look at getting in your exercise with what is around you. If you are at the beach, try swimming, kayaking or stand up paddle boarding. If you are in a city, rent a bike. If you are in the mountains, take a day hike or, if you are ambitious, hill repeats!
6. Enjoy. So you skipped a workout - it's not the end of the world!
My advice is to create a gameplan and then have fun with it. I'm going into my 9 day vacation with a game plan, ideas and a relaxed attitude.