In honor of the heat and humidity that has become a topic of conversation - it's as if it's that crazy aunt that we all gossip about - today's #TastyTuesday post is all about hydration!
During the summer, you sweat more! Thus, you need more water and need to pay attention to replenishing your electrolyte levels everyday. The general guideline for water is 6-8 8-ounce glasses per day, or half your body weight in ounces. This is for the general public though. Let's be real, you're an athlete and you sweat. You even seek it out. So, let your thirst be your guide - if you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Here's what your body needs during this season to sustain you on your runs:
- Pre Workout: Drink 8-16 ounces of water 30 minutes to 1 hour before working out.
- During Workout: Stay hydrated! During the summer, aim to take in 6-8 ounces of water for every 30-45 minutes of exercise AND take in extra calories, preferably in the form of simple carbs so they are easily digested and burned. Examples: gels, chews, bars or drinks such as Gatorade.
- Post Workout: Quickly replenish lost fluids and electrolytes after a workout. By quickly, we mean starting to drink water and your favorite electrolyte replenishment drink (e.g. gatorade, coconut water, nuun tablets) within 10-15 minutes after working out. Continue to replenish throughout the rest of your day.
Tips for staying hydrated on extra sweaty summer runs:
(1) Add Nuun tablets to your water.
(2) Eat saltier foods post workout.
(3) End your run with an electrolyte drink. We love the drink cart guys in NYC because Gatorade is always available. Buy a water and a gatorade and make a watered down version of Gatorade for the subway ride home.
(4) If you are running and ending someplace besides home, bring money to buy something or keep a smaller cooler in your car with your favorite electrolyte drink.
(5) Find a route with water fountains or bring a water bottle (we recommend amphipod products).
And sometimes we get a little sick of just water so we add some flavor:
(1) Add fruit to your water. Our fave mixtures: Oranges, limes & vanilla bean. Or just add single fruits - anything goes!
(2) Eat watermelon after your run, it's yummy and helps satiate your thirst.
(3) Freeze slices of fruit in your ice tray, for example, a slice of strawberry, pineapple or mango.
(4) Freeze lemon wedges and pop them into your water bottle for a different taste and cooler water.