We are always on the lookout for alternative ways for our clients, and all runners, to get their strength, toning and conditioning weekly workouts. We’ve been doing barre workouts in NYC for the past 4 years and like the challenge and how the exercises target our muscles. What about barre for those without access to or time for a studio class?
Thanks to a friend, we found Barre3, which offers online barre workouts that combine ballet, yoga and Pilates. Barre3 recently launched a series of online classes that range from 10-60 minutes with different focuses: total body, core, lower body, upper body, and pre-natal. We’ve spent the last 2 months sampling these online classes.
It's only $15/month with classes added regularly. Below are classes we took and our feedback for runners.
Total Body - 30 mins
- Standing Slim with Sadie – This class is safe for knees, lengthens and easy to incorporate at home.
- Runners Workout – We liked this class because it focused on muscles that runners need to strength and it’s less ballet focused (for those of us who are less graceful!)
- Ballet Boot camp – Again, safe for knees and always showed modifications
- Lean with Sadie Lincoln – This class got our heart rate up and helped lengthen our muscles; it was definitely tough after a run.
Total Body - 40 mins
- Ballet Sculpt – We found this class hard and our knees hurt after the workout.
- Balance with Sadie – This is a good workout for a full leg workout. She targets the calves, which we appreciated! The core work is good core, very little focus on arm strength.
- Runners Core - Excellent; the 2nd time we did this 10 min workout, we used the Barre3 ball and it was MUCH harder!
- Cupid's Core – Not a favorite – our hip flexors took over in many of the poses, which is common for runners.
- Deep Core Work – This 10 minute workout made us sweat! It targets the lower abs, however, if your hip flexors tend to take over, be careful with some of the exercises.
- Runners Workout: Glutes and Core - One word - hard! What we loved about this 10 min class was that the poses mimic the running motion and really targeted the core.
- Arms and Core: Studio Shape: Good, 10 minute class that targets areas two areas we always want to improve!
We definitely recommend Barre3 online workouts to our clients and friends, especially those who don't belong to a gym and travel frequently. Many of these classes can be done with a mat and a kitchen counter or chair! Also, mix it up a bit with something different!